How has the economic crisis impacted on migration patterns across Europe? This question is addressed in a new four-page ESPON Evidence Brief. The theme was also a central feature of the ESPON seminar in Vilnius on 4-5 December. Migration has been a priority concern of the Lithuanian EU Presidency. This is not surprising, given the scale on which this small country has been haemorrhaging people in recent years. It is estimated that a sixth of the population has been lost over the last 20 years. However, as we in the UK know, migration has become a hot political topic in many countries. For example there are concerns in countries around the Mediterranean about their “front line” position in relation to illegal immigration from Africa and the Middle East.
Posts Tagged: Lithuania
Planning & Regeneration Jobs
Search this blog
- Councils should publish enforcement plans, says watchdog
- Elizabeth House scheme approved by Lambeth for second time
- Developer sumbits plans for 7,000-home Cardiff urban extension
- 240-turbine North Sea offshore wind farm wins secretary of state approval
- Britain has 'masses of room for more people'
- Green belt should not be sacrosanct, says report
- Appeal Court rejects fresh HS2 challenge
- Lords defeat government again on judicial review reforms
- Judge hurts landlord in pocket for flouting planning rules
- Spending cuts 'should not squeeze out good planning'
Latest @CliffHague tweets
agglomeration American Planning Association Chicago China Climate change Commonwealth Association of Planners Commonwealth Secretariat Conservation culture Cyprus economic development ESPON Food security Housing ICLEI India innovation Ireland Latvia localism London Migration Participation planning planning education planning for growth planning in the Commonwealth rapid urbanisation Rapid urbanization regional development Regions Resilience Royal Town Planning Institute RTPI slums State of the Commonwealth's Cities Suburbs sustainable development territorial cohesion tourism UN-Habitat urbanisation urban planning Urban regeneration Water